Thursday, April 23, 2009

Good ol' Santiago

Hello all,
Its been a while, not a whole whole lot to report though as I have just been hanging out in Santiago for the past week or two. Last weekend Laura and Florette went with some other people to Madrid, and since Sam and I had already been we stayed in Santiago. My plan was to get lots of work done and have a really productive opinion...like that was gonna happen. I borrowed Laura's computer for the weekend, which unfortunately is very old and slow, and doesn't seem to like my wireless connection. So, with a combination of that and my recent procrastination habit I got very little done the whole weekend. I did, however, spend some time with Sam; we made some awesome chicken noodle soup, and got plenty of "Arrested Development" in. Sunday I actually did make some progress on one of my papers, but other than that it was just a very chill weekend spent relaxing, watching movies, and hanging with Sam, with occasional bursts of productivity throughout. Laura and the rest of the group got back late Sunday night, which was nice as I missed not having them around. This week I've been very busy going out at night/dining late, plus on Tuesday my new laptop arrived!!! I absolutely love it, it's so light and quick and just perfect. So, I've been spending all my free time getting all my music transferred and arranged, and just getting everything downloaded on the computer that I need...God it's so nice having a laptop again, being without it just makes everything so much harder, especially with all the research I need to be doing right now. Monday Me, Laura, Florette, Sam, Guy Sam and I did a bothellon in the park, where we sat and drank outside (the weather is beautiful again) for a long time, it was really nice. Afterwards we went to Burger King for dinner, which was delicious and made us feel at home! Then Laura, Guy Sam and I headed over to our friends Fattin and Katie's house, where we hung out for a long while along with some other kids from our program. On Tuesday, Sam, Laura and I had dinner together and hung out for a bit, opting not to stay up too late so we could go out the next night. Last night (Wednesday) I had a bunch of friends over to my place, switching it up a bit since we always go to Laura's, which was really, really fun. My two roommates came as well, and Laura cooked us some delicious stir fry, plus my always good artichoke dip, lots of bread with chorizo and cheese; very good. Everyone had a good time, my roommates got along well with everyone (they're such great guys), and we spent a long time just sitting around and chatting. As it got late we headed out, Laura and I heading to meet up with some of the Kansas kids at Fusion (this bar where one of our program kids bartends, we've kind of taken it over), while the others went off to bed (lame). We ended up having a really fun time at Fusion, they were having a beer pong night, which was fun to watch, and again we spent a long time just hanging out and talking. We headed home late, getting to bed after 3, but I still managed to get my reading done for class ;). So yeah, that's what I've been up to. Meanwhile, in the back of my mind I am kind of freaking out as I have SO much work I need to get done, and it's just so hard to get anything done here! Every time I go to start studying or something I get invited to go get a drink, chill in the park, etc., I don't want to miss out on anything and feel like I'm running out of time! It's going to be sad to leave, especially within the last month I have really just been having a great time in Santiago. I've really gotten to know the people on our program and like them all so much, it's going to be hard to say goodbye to it all. Not to mention the town, with all it's awesome bars/restaurants/etc., the general feeling here is just so positive, the Spanish just seem to have a great view of life and living in general. But in any case, it will still be so nice to be home, I miss everyone very much, and I've been abroad so much! On another note, tonight Laura and I fly to Madrid, where we will catch our flight to Athens tomorrow morning!!! I am so excited for this trip, it's just me and her, and then we're going to stay with our friend Anna who is studying there, one of our mutual friends from Kenyon. Saturday we're even planning on doing a little trip to an Island or something!!! I'm really, really excited, I've always wanted to go to Greece, and I think the three of us will have a really great time. Will share the story as soon as I get back!
Sending my love from Santiago,
Brit

2 comments:

Mom said...

Ahhh,so many bars/parties/islands and so little time. Sounds so fun, I'm just jealous! Have fun in Greece.
Opahhh!
XO, Mom

Chris said...

Glad to see everything is back on track, now get some work done and we will see you in a few weeks.

love,

Dad